Dr. Tarun Praharaj
Consultant - Cardiology
Dr. Praharaj has been associated with BM Birla Heart Research Centre with a total experience of 30 years. He has completed a post-graduation Fellowship in Adult Cardiology and Clinical Research, Fellowship in Invasive Cardiology from Philippines Heart Centre, Philippines. Dr. Praharaj is a Fellow of the prestigious The American College of Cardiology.
He had the opportunity to treat Nobel Laureate, Mother Teresa, in 1993 and 1996. He has performed stent angioplasty on a 94 yrs old man, one of the oldest surviving patients in India who went on celebrate his 101st birthday on Oct 2011.
He implanted a drug-coated stent on 75 years old lady on 7th June 2002 which was launched for the first time in India on that day. He has performed primary angioplasty on a patient aged 87 years successfully.
His areas of interest are managing critically ill cardiac patients, complex coronary angioplasty and primary angioplasty.
- MD(1988) – Philippines Heart Centre
- MBBS(1983) – VSS Medical College
Awards & Honors
- Receipt of Mother Teresa International Award
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Rotary Club of Calcutta
- Recipient of Nikhil Bharat Banga Sahitya Sammelan Award
- Receipt of Swami Vivekananda and Vidya Alankar Award
- Non-Invasive Assessment of Pulmonary Artery pressure in Rheumatic Mitral Stenosis (Abstract)-Echocardiography September 1987, New York
- Global Reduction in Thallium uptake by Myocardium at peak exercise With Normal Coronary Arteries (Abstract)- Indian Heart Journal, July – Aug 1990
- Prevalance rate of Coronary lesion (concentric, eccentric Type 1, type II) In Unstable Angina (Abstract)- Indian Heart Journal, July – Aug 1991
- Correlation of Coronary Angiography with Stree Thallium in Six hundred cases (Abstract) – Indian Heart Journal, July – Aug 1991
- Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Angioplasty for totally Occluded Coronary Arteries (Abstract)- Indian Heart Journal, July – August 1992
- Percutaneous Mitral Valvuloplasty using Inoue Balloon (Abstract) Accepted for INDIAN HEART J0URNAL – 8th December 1995
- Balloon Angioplasty versus rotational atherectomy for the treatment Of lung lesions (Abstract)- Indian Heart Journal, December 1995
- The relevance of routine Hepatitis C screening before Cardiac Catheteri-Zation (Abstract)- Indian Heart Journal, November 1997
- New VODA guiding catheter for performing angioplasty on Left Circumflex Artery (observational study) Abstract- Indian Heart Journal, December 1997
- A study of the anti-ischaemic effect of Trimetazidine during Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Angioplasty (Abstract)- Indian Heart Journal, November 1997
- Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Angioplasty with Stenting Of Anomalous Right Coronary Artery Originating from Left Sinus Valsalva using the Voda Guiding Catheter: A report of two cases. Indian Heart Journal, 2001
- Published an article on “Therapy with stem cells in Cardiology” in a book titled “cardiology Update , Volume III, Oct, 2007(Assam Cardiologycal Society)
- Published an article on ‘CARDIAC INTERVENTION IN A NONAGENARIAN-A 7YEAR FOLLOW UP : A CASE REPORT, Journal of Indian College of Cardiology 6(2016),pp.45-48