Why Is It Important To Take Care Of Your Heart Nowadays?
Posted on 04/19/2021 by BMB
The heart is one of the most vital organs in our body that is responsible for pumping blood to all the other organs. The normal and healthy functioning of the hard-working, blood-pumping organ is pertinent for our existence however, in the past few decades, there has been a tremendous rise in the incidence of various heart diseases and ailments, making cardiovascular diseases one of the major causes of mortality worldwide. As such it has become extremely important to prioritise our heart health and take necessary measures to protect our heart from various diseases and ailments, especially in today's time when COVID-19 has engulfed the whole world. As per the experts from the best Cardiac Centre in Kolkata, one of the major problems that people are facing due to the pandemic is physical inactivity. A big chunk of the population is still working from home, the gyms have been closed, and people avoid going to places like parks and roads owing to the fear of contracting the virus.
The lockdown has somehow promoted a stagnant lifestyle, which is an open doorway to many heart problems. Also, bad heart health puts you at a greater risk of severe Covid-19 related complications. In this blog, we have listed some tips that would help you to keep your heart healthy amidst the pandemic, with the help of experts specialising in cardiac surgery and pacemaker implant in Kolkata.
- If you have a family history of heart-related issues then you are already at a higher risk of facing similar problems. Having blood pressure and diabetes-related issues also may put you at a higher risk of having a heart attack or a stroke and that too at a younger age. Therefore, it is imperative to make sure to follow a healthy lifestyle that not only focuses on abstaining from a poor diet, stagnant lifestyle, smoking or drinking regularly but also involves regular check-ups to stay updated on the current health status of your heart.
- A way to keep your heart fit is by maintaining a healthy body weight as it a well-known fact that being obese and highly overweight not only increases your vulnerability to various heart diseases but also makes you a soft target for other health issues as well. One should also keep track of food consumed and how and when it is consumed along with getting blood glucose checked regularly and seeking doctor’s help if there is any drastic change in the same.
- It is important to exercise regularly not only to keep your heart healthy but also to avoid unnecessary weight gain. Taking out twenty-thirty minutes a day can do wonders for your heart health as regular exercise makes your heart muscles stronger and puts them at a lesser risk of sustaining any kind of damage. This damage is what leads to strokes or unexpected heart attacks and if you follow a healthy lifestyle, you will not have to worry about it.
- It is also important to keep track of one’s blood pressure and make sure that it remains below 140/90mm Hg. Having higher blood pressure puts excessive strain on your arteries and makes it difficult for your heart to pump blood, thereby making it difficult for the heart to carry out its function efficiently, hence putting the person at a higher risk of stroke or heart attack.
- There is good cholesterol and there is bad cholesterol. It is important to identify both and take good cholesterol while avoiding the bad one, i.e. LDL, which increases the chances of you having a stroke or a heart attack. Along with diet, cholesterol-lowering drugs prescribed by doctors can help protect your heart from LDL. You will also need to strike off food items that contain LDL from your grocery list.